Katong Presbyterian Church has its roots in the early Chinese Presbyterian community when two Chinese pastors, Rev Tay See Tin and Rev Tan Leng Tian started a school for children in 1924, first located at Joo Chiat Terrace.
The first worship services were held in the Haw Par School Hall attended by the school’s staff and students. The number of worshippers grew steadily and on 27 January 1957, Katong Presbyterian Church was formerly established. In 1971, the church moved to the current site at 42 Joo Chiat Lane.
Now, 65 years on, Katong Presbyterian Church has developed into a multi-generational church comprising congregants who speak both Mandarin and English. Church members share God’s love with one another and with the neighbourhood through activities such as weekly community dinners open to all members of the public, community gardening, providing a kindergarten, table tennis games, ukulele classes, etc. (Some of these activities are suspended due to Covid-19 safety measures.)